|George Soros says the EU is ‘on the verge of collapse’|
Barbara Kollmeyer writes January 21, 2016 at MarketWatch:
Billionaire prophet of doom George Soros said the European Union is on the “verge of collapse” as it faces five or six crises at once.
“The Greek crisis taught the European authorities the art of muddling through one crisis after another. This practice is popularly known as kicking the can down the road, although it would be more accurate to describe it as kicking a ball uphill so that it keeps rolling back down,” Soros said in an interview with The New York Review of Books.
Soros achieved fame in 1992 by making a huge profit by shorting the British pound before it left the Europe’s exchange-rate mechanism, a system of exchange rates pegged to a trading band that was a precursor to the euro. Among the myriad problems facing Europe, ranging from Russian aggression to Greece, he says the migrant problem is the biggest threat. More than an estimated million asylum seekers came into Europe last year alone, largely from Syria.
Read more here.
- Countrywide Mortgage Devastation Lingers as Ex-Chief Moves On
- Economics Has Failed America
- For Bill Gross, Besting Pimco Is the Best Revenge
- SocGen claims China is only months away from burning through its currency reserves
- George Soros says the EU is ‘on the verge of collapse’
- Cooperman: Why this is no bear market yet
- Michael Burry, Real-Life Market Genius From The Big Short, Thinks Another Financial Crisis Is Looming
- Chinese Legislature Approves Two-Child Policy
- Bill Gross' Math on Junk Bonds Is Right
- PAUL SINGER: Developed countries are hopelessly and utterly insolvent
- U.S. household incomes slip, poverty rate holds in 2014
- St Louis Fed official: No evidence QE boosted economy
- 2015: Why's the Oil Price Collapsing? Answer: $8+ Trillion Carry Trade
- GUNDLACH: The Consensus Is Wrong — Interest Rates Could Sink To Levels We Haven't Seen In Decades
- Ruble Rout Accelerates as Russia's Central Bank Stands Aside